Sunday, January 6, 2008

I Come From A Land Downunder...



Growing up in Australia, I love football, the beach, and pub bands. Some of you know the jingle …baseball, hotdogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet… well I’m used to…football, meat pies, Kangaroos, and Holden cars. I left school early and worked a variety of jobs including laborer, bank teller, lift operator (back when hotels had DC powered elevators), and gas station attendant. I decided later in life to return to school. I completed a BSc at the University of Western Sydney followed by a Graduate Diploma of Teaching (secondary mathematics) also from UWS.

Just prior to completion of my teaching degree I moved to Wollongong, just south of Sydney. It was there that my housemate showed me a website called matchmaker. The only person I talked to on the site is now my wife and the reason I have immigrated to the US. We were married at home in a Shrek wedding. That is, I was Shrek, she was Princess Fiona, and all of our guests were dressed in fairytale costumes. It was more of a party than a wedding….but what the heck.

Soon after that we moved to the US. I started working at Chemeketa Community College as a math tutor in the Tutoring Center. I also teach math as an adjunct instructor. To teach full-time I will need to complete 30 graduate hours in math. I will be completing these credits and another 15 credits of math/education/other to receive a Master of Teaching in mathematics. I hope to gain an e-Learning Systems Certificate of Completion as well.

Garth.

2 comments:

dl schultz said...

Welcome Garth.

My wife and I traveled to your country in 1986 for three weeks then on to New Zealand. We arrived just before Christmas and were able to enjoy a warm and very sunny time with our friends who at that time lived on a sheep farm near Murray Bridge in SA. We became quite fond of the Kangaroo. They showed us the sites during our 10-day visit with them. We then spent another two weeks riding the bus up and down the east coast. During that time we discovered how big Australia really is.
We hope to return as our friends have since moved to Adelaide.

Tanna Colwell said...

It is nice to meet you Garth. I too had the opportunity to visit Australia's east coast in 1992. We started up North in Cairnes and took a trip to the Great Barrier Reef and then worked our way down through the Gold Coast and to Syndey and Canberra. I loved it! I probably won't ever get to go back as my husband hates to fly.