Thursday, January 10, 2008



I am Mike Dyer and I teach band at Sherwood Middle School in Sherwood, OR. This is my 23rd year there and my 25th year teaching. I took the ID course and the Intro course for E-learning last term. Whoa, big mistake. One at a time will be just fine for me. For the ID course, I designed a website with sequential lessons and drills on the subject of beginning band instrument fingerings. I'll certainly do something with band for this class, but I'm not sure what yet. Possibly something to do with the proper care and feeding of band instruments for beginners.

In my teaching career, I've been involved a lot in leadership with our union from being a building rep to bargaining two contracts to being VP and President. I enjoy using technology in music first with Encore and now with Finale for writing & transcribing music.

My wife is also a music teacher-we met in college. We have three kids and the youngest daughter is a freshman business major in college. Our son, the oldest, is a keyboard player and is taking a stab at being a professional musician and living in Hollywood. He's making enough to live, so that's good for now! Our middle child is graduating this year from college with a BA in Math. She's getting married in July, so she gave me a DVD of "Father of the Bride" for Christmas.

I'm looking forward to this class. I am firmly convinced that E-Learning will play a major role in public education because of it's flexibilty and perhaps it's cost efficiency.

Last thing, I play bass in a blues band for grins. It's called Steelhead and we mostly play at Steam Heat and at the Blue Pepper, both in Salem.

Mike

No comments: